Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired

I've got this girl cousin who THINKS she knows me...no wait, that's not where I want to start...but remember it, so I don't have to say it again.

I'm sick...101 degree fever, some type of virus my doctor said...stay in bed with daily doses of ______ and ____________ until the fever breaks, which said nothing about how I would deal with the fatigue and dizziness and sinus headaches and congestion and shallow breathing. But doctor's orders are doctor's orders so, "in bed" is where I've been for more hours in the past 5 days than in probably the last 3 weeks. Seriously. I'm used to being busy. I'm used to running on fumes and not even recognizing that I'm doing it. I've just become accustomed to operating on little to no sleep. But had I become used to operating in a manner that was anything but optimal?

My girl cousin said to me: maybe God wants you to get some rest. Did I take that as blasphemy? Almost. I was offended, as though I was so hard headed that God would have to get His point across like this...like I had ignored so many gentle nudges until finally, I had to be knocked on my butt. Just today, when asking me about something that she'd no doubt asked me about before, and which I'd no doubt had an answer (not quite rehearsed, but just as polished) about where it was located very near to the top of my list of priorities, but not quite number 1 at the moment...she said: "i know that ur a busy man w/tons of things on ur plate. (that's my nice way of saying you're forgetful some times)" Okay...ouch! Not the best way to ask for my help...by calling me on my stuff. Well, that would be if I was so prideful as not to see when a good stabbing was deserved.

But is God's grace in this situation turning around a bad situation and mining the essential minerals of goodness out of it? I've gotten a chance to actually do some work while lying in this bed, as opposed to talking about doing the work...whenever I finally got a chance. And, oh goodness, is their time to think!!! This, I've found is helpful for real prioritization...the kind that is determined by plan and not by circumstance. I will never tell my cousin that she knows me, because she will eventually find out anyway. She's won too easily already and should have to work for something, shouldn't she? Don't answer that. I'm convinced of it and that settles it for me. Thanks anyway and thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment