Saturday, December 20, 2008

Weighed Down

I have been weighed down with a ton of thoughts and emotions swirling around during the past 24 hours.

Recently, someone that used to be very close to me (not a former significant other...so don't go there), contacted me with a Christmas card that had nothing more than the preprinted message, their signature, and a phone number. I called the phone number (twice) and there was no answer. I am not sure what I was going to say or ask...I just dialed.

Suffice it to say that this person and I said and did some awful things to one another through the course of our relationship. Many hurts and pains have been experienced on both sides of this relationship.

My question is simple, how do I handle this reconnection with the grace that God has given me for today?

Of course, this question begs dozens of others: How do I practice what I preach (literally)? Do I welcome the individual with open arms neglecting what I know about the past? Do I connect them with my current family with so much lack of detailed information and uncertainty of truth revolving around the past events of their life? Am I being selfish or cautious by not wanting my family connected with wreckage that could come about if history repeats itself? After almost 2 decades of absence, why now? Do I shake the dust off my feet or do I throw a party (speaking figuratively of the Gospels of course)? I could go on ad infinitum...but won't.

Here is all I really know in the moment:

There is no doubt that I have amends to make...
There is no doubt that I have forgiveness to offer...
There is no doubt that grace will guide if I let it...

I wonder what you all do in situations like this. I am quite certain that I am not the only one that has experienced this, so let me know about your encounters with grace through reconciled (or unreconciled) relationships.

I look forward to hearing (reading) your stories of experience, strength and hope...for me, that would be grace enough for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment